What are the procedures for entering France?

What are the procedures for entering France?

Before leaving your country, you will need to secure a long-term "student" visa (more than three months). This is not required of European Union citizens.

Use of the online process, "Admission post bac" (APB, post-baccalauréat admission process, www.admission-postbac.fr ) is required of all students seeking to enter the first year at an institution other than a university or IUT, even if the CEF procedure is in force in the applicant's country. If you seek to enter French higher education in the first or second year of university study (licence level), you must submit an application for preliminary admission (DAP, demande d'admission préalable) to the cultural service of the French embassy in your country of residence.

The CEF procedure

Do you live in one of the following countries ? Algeria, Argentina, Benin, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo (Brazzaville), Cote d'Ivoire, Gabon, Guinea, India, Indonesia, Japan, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali, Marocco, Mauritius, Mexico, Peru, Senegal, Russia, South Korea, Taiwan, Tunisia, Turkey, USA, Vietnam ...
You must use the online CEF procedure !
The CEF procedure begins with the creation of a personal electronic application file, a process you can complete at your own pace. The CEF mechanism offers prospective students the benefit of guidance and support at every step in the admission process, from application to enrollment. It even allows applicants to apply for their visa online and to track the progress of their electronic application. Applicants open a personal account on the Web site of the Campus France office in their country of residence. From there they follow a paperless procedure that enables them to submit applications for admission and to dialog with the staff of the Campus France office in their country and with representatives of the institutions from which they hope to receive an offer of admission (whether under the DAP program or not).
More information on Campus France web site : www.campusfrance.org/en

Long-Term "Student" Visas

Long-term "student" visas can be applied for from the French Consulate closest to your place of residency. The French Ministry of Foreign Affairs' Web site, contains a page indicating whether, depending on your nationality, you will need a visa, along with a list of the documents required of you. You may download the visa application form. All of the addresses for the visa departments are listed, as are the fees (€99 for the long-term visa). In most cases, you will need proof of registration in another establishment and proof of income equal to at least €615 per month.

The "student-competitive exam" visa

Depending on your goal, you may simply need a short-term "student-competitive exam" visa, designed for students whose firm enrolment in a French learning institution is dependent on his passing an interview, examination or entrance exam.

Tip: Complete the Procedures Prior to Departure

A long-term visa is required if you wish to receive a temporary residency permit, making your status as a foreigner in France legal. It is impossible to achieve this once in France, if you hold only a short-term (tourist) visa.

148 Boulevard


75008 Paris